Within the UK, there are six geographical Sections:
Each Section organises its own programme of events such as informative lectures, technical visits and social events, which you can find in the events diary.
Rail Engineers Forum (REF)
The IRSE is an active member of the UK Railway Engineers' Forum (REF), a multi-disciplinary body whose members are the Professional Institutions with strong railway interests:
- Institution of Civil Engineers (ICE)
- Institution of Engineering & Technology (IET)
- Institution of Mechanical Engineers (IMechE)
- Institution of Railway Operators (IRO)
- Institution of Railway Signal Engineers (IRSE)
- Permanent Way Institution (PWI)
- Railway Civil Engineers Association (RCEA)
- Chartered Institute of Logistics and Transport (CILT)
The aim of the REF is to harmonise the various strengths of the constituent Institutions in devising and implementing their programmes of activities in support of the railway community. The REF regularly publishes a combined events list of the meetings of all the Institutions, where these are of cross disciplinary interest.
Young Rail Professionals
The Young Railway Professionals (YRP) organisation is affiliated to the UK Railway Engineers Forum. The YRP brings together people from all aspects of the rail industry, whether they are involved in engineering, asset management, train operations, strategic planning, maintenance, franchising, regulation, marketing or human relations. The YRP is open to any young rail professional.